IN-HOME PREPARATION GUIDE
Congratulations on your new arrival and thank you for allowing me the amazing rewarding job of photographing your new baby in his/her first few days of life.
I am so excited to meet you and beyond honoured you have chosen me to preserve these sweet and tiny memories of your precious newborn! Please take your time to carefully read through the preparation guide to help prepare for a successful newborn session. In this guide you will find information on how to prepare your family members and newborn for his/her session, what to bring and what to expect. If you have any questions at all please don’t hesitate to ask.
What to wear?
For inspiration on what to wear to your session please view my Pinterest board
For Dad: I suggest light coloured jeans or chinos and solid coloured top.
Plain off white, cream, light blue or grey t-shirt, knit long sleeve top or even casual shirt untucked with the sleeves rolled up looks great!
For Mum: If you have a summer dress or a top that you love and would like to wear, I encourage you to bring it, it is your session so you can wear what you like!
I personally love soft floral prints, feminine, delicate, floaty and whimsy style of maxi/midi dresses on a mum as it seems to compliment my style and the mood of the images and is also very forgiving at the same time.
Another great option that photographs well is white skinny jeans and light/neutral/pastel coloured floaty blouse.
Have a think about your hair and makeup. There’s no need to go overboard here, but a little special touch here and there can go a long way in creating stunning portraits.
TIPS: Please avoid being super matchy with outfits but rather mix and match 2-3 colours that compliment each. Start with mum: Pick out your all-time favourite outfit that makes you feel like a million dollars (or treat yourself to something new) and use your outfit to guide your choices for the rest of your family.
You can just as easily start with someone else in your family that you already have an amazing outfit for, and go from there.
- Think Smart, Casual and Comfortable!
- Light to mid-toned, neutral or pastel colours photograph best for all family members
- Soft small delicate floral prints photograph lovely on mummies or little girls, textures such as linen or lace, light denim and anything with movement such as midi or maxi dress, skirts & pretty blouses.
- Iron and hang your clothes…wrinkles don’t fade in photographs
- Please avoid wearing black and bright colours, stripes, logos, graphics and stiff business shirts
- Mum please make sure that your nails are fresh clean and tidy, as your hands will be in a lot of photographs. Please also avoid wearing fake tan.
- Don’t stress about footwear as we won’t see your shoes in the photographs!
Not sure where to shop?
I highly recommend that mum takes a look at the following online stores if she is after a beautiful maxi or midi dress: Hazel + Folk, Coven & Co, Petal and Pup, Kivari, Gingham and Heels, Baltic Born, The Iconic, ShowPo and ASOS. I would also recommend looking in these local stores for mum/dad and children: Seed Heritage, Witchery, Forever New, Barkers, Country Road, Zara, H&M, Max, Cotton On, Kmart, Jamie Kay, Bambinos, Nature Baby, Two darlings.
What should my newborn wear?
Newborns are so small it is often very difficult to photograph them in cute outfits as they are usually swimming in them, and just tend to look silly. If you wish to have your baby clothed I suggest a simple snug fitting outfit such as a white/cream/beige bodysuit that does up under the crotch or a cute wee romper.
Cotton On, H&M, Jamie Kay, Farmers, Bambini and Nature baby have some adorable bodysuits!
I will also bring several neutral coloured baby wraps that showcase just how tiny your little one is or your welcome to use your own shawl or wrap!
What Should Big Brother/Sister Wear?
Neutral or mid-tones work best.
A pretty dress for girls and chinos/jeans and a top for your wee boy would look great
Please avoid clothing with any distracting logos, pictures or writing!!
Do not worry about foot wear, siblings will be photographed in bare feet.
Please make sure your child’s face and hands are clean and avoid eating/drinking anything that will stain the skin.
Please clean away any nail polish, stamps, felt tip pens, dirty nails, eye gunk and boogers
Note sure where to shop? See above for my recommendations
What to expect on the day of your session?
- When I first arrive, after saying hello of course, I will scope out your home for areas with the best light and the most picture friendly colours/decor. I primarily shoot newborn lifestyle images in the nursery, master bedroom and living room however it’s more about finding the rooms with the best light and colour scheme.
- The baby will typically determine the flow of the session. If he is hungry when I arrive, then I will start with some feeding and changing shots. If he’s/she sleeping soundly in the bassinet (kudos to you!) then I’ll start with some bassinet and nursery. There is no set schedule or plan; as a parent myself, I’ve learned to adapt.
- Although this is lifestyle session, I do offer gentle guidance for posing so that I can capture these moments in the best possible light and at the right angle.
- I will make use of your home, your décor, your furniture, etc… I may need to move some things around or take a frame off the wall; I promise to move everything back.
- Please do not worry about the state of your house! You just had a baby. I do not care if dishes are piled up in the sink and clothes baskets runneth over!
- If baby’s skin is a little dry or flaky, try applying a small bit of baby lotion to those spots the day before our session. But don’t worry if it doesn’t go away completely.
- Please have your house warmer than normal. Ideally, you’ll want the house around 24-26 degrees. The warmth is a great way to soothe your new baby.
- Since I will be photographing baby in the nursery for a portion of the session, be sure all the curtains and shades are fully open to let in lots of natural light. I also love to photograph baby with mum and dad in their bed, on the couch, anywhere comfy and snuggly. No need to clean, but just try and make sure any table clutter has found its way to a closet in these particular rooms.
- Prior to our session, try and keep baby awake for 1-2hours and stimulated as much as possible. Give baby a bath, play for awhile, and try to feed him/her about the time I am due to arrive. A full belly makes for a happy sleepy baby!
- After the baby is full, make sure they are burped really well. Gas can take a sleepy, happy baby to an uncomfortable and irritable one in seconds.
- Be prepared for me to be at your home 1-3 hours.
- Be patient. If the baby gets fussy or alert, don’t worry. A baby can sense your anxiety and we want to keep the environment as mellow as possible. I will try and get the baby comfortable again, but if that just doesn’t seem possible, we’ll take a break or we’ll work with what he’s giving us. Sometimes the best pictures are ones when baby isn’t necessarily doing what we want.
- And MOST importantly, the only job you have while we are together is to RELAX. I want this to be a time where you can soak in that new baby smell, cuddle with your loved ones, and be “in the moment.”
Ultimately, I want you to enjoy this experience as much as I enjoy capturing it. It’s ok to be a bit nervous. I have to admit that I don’t get in front of the camera much myself! But I can guarantee you that you will not regret having these memories to cherish.
After The Session:
I aim to have your gallery delivered to you 2-3 weeks after your session. You will receive an email from me with a link to your password protected online viewing gallery which you are welcome to share with friends and family. Your gallery will be live for 7 days. During this time you be able to choose your package and select your images you wish to purchase. Payment for your chosen package is due on the day your gallery expires.
It is my hope that you come to my studio feeling comfortable and at home. I am truly honoured to be able to document this incredible time in your lives and I look forward to getting to know you and your sweet baby!
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask.